Children’s orthodontics – for realigning developing teeth.
We provide NHS orthodontic treatment to children under 18, as long as their particular case means they are eligible. NHS braces consist of metal brackets and a metal wire which precisely guides teeth to a new position.
We also offer private orthodontic treatment to children who are not eligible for NHS treatment – thanks to our team of specialists who provide this smile straightening service at all our practices. This private treatment can include more discreet ceramic braces or clear aligners, which are ideal for image conscious teens.
- Fixed braces can correct more complex cases
- NHS braces offer predictable results
- Can help improve chewing and speaking
The treatment process
- We will clean and dry the teeth and attach the brackets with a strong dental adhesive.
- A thin wire is attached to the brackets and held in place with elastics.
- Treatment times will vary, but results are normally achieved within 12-24 months.
More about children’s orthodontics
Although NHS braces are visible, the brackets are smaller than they once were and children can cheer up their braces with coloured elastics.
Teeth may feel a little sore when a brace is first fitted and when adjusted, but painkillers should help relieve any discomfort.
It’s important to keep teeth clean while wearing a brace and clean the brace itself so any food debris can be removed.
As with all orthodontic treatment, it is important to wear a retainer to stop realigned teeth moving back to their original position.